Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Fantabulous Penang

Penang is fantastic and fabulous, as ever. 2 things that I can always brag about Penang is the food and the cheap bargain. When I said cheap, it's really, really cheap.

The last trip to Penang was a short one, as it's on work purpose. However, I managed to tour as many places as I can. I went to the butterfly farm (it's cheesy right? :P). Well, the last time I visit the park is like 10 years ago, and I still find it's fascinating for this 2nd trip. Overall, it's only full of many types butterfly. But it's really exciting when u try to find different types of butterflies. We were like 'ehhh..yg ni dah amik gambar?', 'hey, have u seen this? the blue one', 'aaaa...comeynyaa.. it got batik design on the wing', etc.

Ain't it gorgeous?

Sharing the lunch

The most memorable part is when suddenly a butterfly volunteering park at your hands. It's soooo sweet, I tell ya. From what we read in the gallery, sometimes the butterflies stop on the sand to get the mineral, so I guess the one that parked at my hands was trying to get the salt from my sweat. It's so humid inside that I went sweating like a morning jog.

Searching for minerals

Hunting for food is quite plain for this trip. We only go trial and error. Some is satisfying, some is frustrating. Anyhow, if you are in Penang, don't forget to try USM cafeteria, the Keow Teow Th'eng at Fajar Harapan. The clear soup is really mouth-watering.




I had full bowl of koay teow with chicken sausage, fish cake, chicken shred, and fish ball at only RM 3.++

There are another places I would like to recommend, Char Koay Teow at Bukit Mertajam. Location is hard to map out here but if you are there, maybe you can ask the local or your Penangites friends. No picture taken as the lights went off at that time and we were having the famous dish in small light of candle, plus the roadside lights.

What made me quite frustrated is I missed the chance to taste the Mee Udang, Laksa Penang and Nasi Lemak Bukit Jambul --> Lauk ikan sambal gila vavis sedap oke. Kecewa tau. Nanges. But I hope I can eat all of them when I go back to Penang.

Ok, let's brag about the cheapo bargain.

DVDs is UNBELIEVEABLE cheap okkkkk!! I almost faint at the DVD stall after knowing the price. You can get RM4 per peace without having to haggle like mad auntie. Remember the CSI box set I bought before? That was in KL (well, I thot KL is already cheap lor) and after bought 6 boxes that I only given RM50 per box. Per box is like 5 DVDs. So RM10 per piece. In Batu Ferringhi Night Market, the box set is only RM20! Nanges! Some more, if u buy 10 pieces (RM40) get one free. Nanges again! But of course la without the nice box, but of course you don't mind right.
I always download the series because it's free kan, but since it's only RM20, why not. I grabbed 2 seasons of NipTuck and few movies and audio CD. The Modern Talking is giler rare ok!! I searched down and low to download but couldn't find the whole album. Of course la u can buy it in music store but it's RM40 okk.

I will come back to Penang in the future for the collectible DVD of series. Wishlist; Ally McBeal, Desperate Housewives, Prison Break, Veronica Mars, Le Femme Nikita, and Boston Legal (The list is increasing). BTW, do anyone of you know where can I get The Nanny? I've been drooling for this since dulu2 lagi but couldn't find it.

Annnndd another bargain that we need to cheer real loud is the BOOKS! I know you can get 2nd hand books at decent price easily here. But how about you can get totally new book with 2nd hand's price? Chowrasta Bazaar never stop to amuse me. Last time I went there to get my Tintin collection. They sell it at RM20 per piece, compared to market price, RM29.90. I once asked about Asterix, but they don't have it.

And during this trip, I just asked my luck and guess what, they have it!

It's priced at RM44.90/piece at normal bookstore (Kino, MPH) and I got this for RM25 per piece okkk!! And still in plastic wrapper. Since my Tintin collection is completed, I plan to collect Asterix next, but it got about 100++ (or more? not sure sbb dah byk sgt).

Annnnd I also bought this, new title from Jodi Picault at RM20 (pitam!). 2 pieces from Ramlee Awang Mursheed. The towkey gave me RM10 per piece. Giler saiko okeh. Normal price is RM19.90/piece. The best deal I ever get for Malay novels pun during sale, like 15-20% less. But never at flat ten.

I was almost out of the shop (it was already 8PM and it's on the way to close), that I saw two pieces of this Beano Books, and I grabbed both. The other one titled Robbers and Cops. He gave me RM5 per piece! It's hard cover tau, and 100% colored. Suitable for kids or light reading.

If you wish to go to Chowrasta, it is next to Komtar. You have to climb up the jenjantas and it's in front of a big police station. It is on the 1st level. Walk until the end of the floor and you will see the shops, selling books. The ground floor is the pickle fruits heaven. I also bought jeruk Salak and Kedondong but no pic, dah abes makan, terlupa nak snap :P

There are more places I wish I have the time to go, especially the small antique shops selling rare jeweleries and accessories.

Worry not, Penang, see u sooner or later ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment