Wednesday, September 24, 2014

KoolAid Playdoh



My kids love playdoh BUT they love (I think only Zahra because Emir is still small) the process of making playdoh MORE, where they get to help and play with the pots and pans. So I've been experimenting with homemade playdoh couple of time using different recipes like these entries:

http://aandes.blogspot.com/2013/05/perfect-homemade-playdoh.html
http://aandes.blogspot.com/2011/11/homemade-playdough.html


As I've mentioned on previous entry, I love the latest recipe (the one that I made in 2013) the most. Basically it's called for the same ingredient, the only different is the composition of the ingredient.
So, for this time I wanted to try something new, with some kind of twist, like KoolAid.

I used to think KoolAid is some kind of medicine, maybe because of the Aid word and I don't think KoolAid is a common stuff in Malaysia. Well, maybe it is, but I'm not exposed to it. And one day I decided to google, then only I know it's actually a consumable flavored drink! Haha. Anyway, I found these babies at Jaya Grocer about RM1 per packet. 


Zahra all excited

So basically this is the recipe

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 packet of koolaid
1 tbsp oil
1 cup water 
mix all, cook it under very low fire and keep stirring it until it become doughy. then off the fire and knead.


Emir busy arranging the dough

I love it so much!!! The color is not vivid but the smell is soooooo nice! The yellow one is lemonade and the pink one is watermelon.

Watermelon gives you a nice faint pink and the lemonade sadly is very faint, so I add on a little bit of yellow food coloring. Well, it's a good thing that KoolAid don't have strong color else, it will be scary to think that you are consuming that much coloring for each drink, right?

We wanted to do all other colors (about 4 more colors to go) but didn't because we ran out of flour which is Alhamdulillah because after a while, I decided to not like this playdoh.

I keep it in the ziplock to prolong the shelf storage and it's still fine until now (made this in July, so almost hit the 3rd month) but....the dough become mushy (not that elastic) to the point of sticky to the finger.

I'm not sure what causing it but after studying the 3 recipes that I've used, I made a conclusion it's because of the salt in the playdoh. I think Malaysia is too hot and humid (the average is 34 celcius during the day!) and causing the salt to excrete extra water.

The second recipe wins so far! It lasts forever..can't remember how long because my kids used it all, but it last for months..not days, without keeping it in the fridge.

The only different is, it used only 1/4 cup of salt instead of 1/2 cup of salt.

So! I'm thinking to try again, with KoolAid (because I love the smell! Yum!) but with 1/4 cup of salt. Will update the finding!



Last but not least, homemade playdoh is not only safe. It's cheap and fun, fun, fun! You have to try it! =)

1 comment:

  1. Aiyoohh.. Tahap kerajinan belum sampai.. Can u pls buatkan for hasya too! tak payah dah beli playdoh (masa main pun tak yah jimat2, malas nak beli lagi).. Its safe and save!

    ReplyDelete